Examples Of Cover Letters For Cv
Curious to see how a cover letter in your industry should look? We provide dozens of cover letter examples from over 15 different industries. Find your industry below and download your favorite samples. Plug in your own information and you’re ready to send off your application.
Build My Free Cover Letter Now >>
If you are looking for free downloadable cover letter templates, click here. Or, you can learn How to Write a Cover Letter
SEE ALSO > Resume Examples by Industry
Cover Letter Samples Sorted By:
Job & Industry
Food Service Industry Cover Letter Samples
Waiter, Waitress, Server
For the food service industry, cover letters should highlight the candidate’s customer service abilities, their knowledge of a particular type of cuisine, and their adherence to food safety and sanitation guidelines. If you are able to demonstrate these key attributes, restaurant owners will certainly call you in for an interview.
Customer Service & Retail Industry Example Cover Letters
Call Center, Phone & Support
Hotel, Hospitality & Transportation
Since customer service is such a broad category, we offer a variety of letters from different areas of the field. The key to getting a job in customer service is to showcase your ability to upsell and retain customers. Click on any of the samples above to learn how to display these abilities in your cover letter.
Office Worker & Administrative Assistant Cover Letter Examples
Assistants & Office Managers
The responsibilities of administrative assistants and office workers are often quite similar across different companies. So the challenge is to find a way to differentiate yourself from other candidates. One way to do this is to emphasize your organizational skills through measurable achievements, such as the money or time you saved with your initiatives in a previous position. Take a look at how the examples above accomplish this.
Housekeeping Industry Example Cover Letters
We provide two versions of a cover letter for a housekeeper: one for a candidate with experience and one for an entry-level housekeeper. So no matter how much experience you have, our examples will help you get started.
Janitor & Maintenance Worker Samples
Janitors must demonstrate their concern for safety and accident prevention in order to be considered for the position. Use our experienced and entry-level examples to guide you on how to include these traits in your letter.
Nursing & Healthcare Cover Letter Samples
Nursing & Social Care
Whether you want to get a job in nursing, dentistry, or pharmaceuticals, we have a sample that applies to your career path. Careers in the healthcare industry require a wide range of experience and education. Technical skills, licenses and certifications, and the ability to communicate effectively are a few of the top qualities to include in your cover letter.
Marketing & Sales Example Cover Letters
If you’re applying for a job in marketing or sales, you’ll need to highlight key performance metrics. Employers will be looking for you to elaborate on the projects that were mentioned in your resume and the results that were produced.
We offer samples for 4 different kinds of engineers. Find your career track and discover how to best format your own letter. No matter what engineering track you are on, your cover letter needs to highlight problem solving skills and the ability to meet quality standards.
Teaching & Education Example Cover Letters
Our teaching and education samples are great for job seekers who are just starting their career or for those that need help showcasing their wealth of experience. Although our sample is for an english teacher, the format can be used for a teacher of any subject.
Construction Industry Examples
Working in construction usually entails being able to use a wide variety of tools and equipment while also having knowledge numerous construction techniques. Make sure you mention the equipment you have used and the different techniques that you are familiar with.
Accounting & Finance Cover Letter Samples
We offer five different examples within the accounting and finance industry. Quantifiable/numerical achievements are extremely important when it comes to applying for an accounting job. Check out the samples to see how the candidates discuss their accomplishments.
Driver & Transportation Examples
A truck driver cover letter should focus on the years of driving experience, the type of vehicles you have operated, and your specific state and national licenses. Click the sample above to see how our job candidate lists this information.
Whether you are just starting your career as a librarian or are looking for a senior position, we have a sample that will help you tailor your own cover letter. Click on the position above that applies to you.
Information Technology (IT) Cover Letter Examples
When applying for an IT job, you will likely need to get through an HR representative who might not be well-versed in the technical aspects of the position. Keep this in mind when writing your cover letter and consider toning down the technical language.
Art and Music Samples
Art & Design
Writing a cover letter for an industry as abstract as music and entertainment can be difficult. Instead of focusing on numerical achievements, you’ll have to focus your letter towards a portfolio of specific projects or performances. Use our letters above for inspiration.
C-Suite & Executive Cover Letters
C-Suite executives have extensive industry experience and their cover letters must go beyond a list of duties and facts. Their cover letters must reflect an ability to fit within an organization. Our cover letter examples and tip sections will help you communicate a strong profile to boost to your candidacy.
Real Estate Industry Examples
For a job in real estate, you’ll need to highlight your ability to market to prospective home owners as well as your drive to reach sales quotas. Our real estate agent letter does all of this and much more. Click the link above to learn how to write your own.
Law Enforcement, Security & Fire Cover Letters
Law Enforcement & Security
In this section we offer cover letters for those in the legal space and law enforcement. Click the position that you are in and learn about exactly what you can highlight in your cover letter to make you an outstanding candidate.
Student and Internship Cover Letters
Students often have the hardest time writing a cover letter because they lack professional experience. The key for students is to focus on relevant coursework, internship experience, and skills you might have gained from working a part-time job.
Looking for a great template?
Check out and download our library of templates. Below are some of our readers’ favorites:
If you also create examples and have one good enough to link to, contact us at social[at]resumegenius.com. Job seekers deserve to find good content quickly. And no one likes to get tricked by suspicious sites looking to make a quick buck.
Curriculum Vitae Cover Letters
When you apply for a job with a curriculum vitae, it's important to include a cover letter, also known as a covering letter, with your CV. This letter allows you to make a favorable first impression, using narrative in your own tone of voice to catch the reader’s attention and encourage them to give a serious review to your attached resume.
Curriculum Vitae Cover Letters
A cover letter should be included with every curriculum vitae you send, and should also be tailored to respond to the unique and specific requirements requested by each organization you are approaching; don’t try to use the same cover letter for every job you apply for.
This letter needs to provide detailed information on why are you are qualified for the job. It should also outline the reasons for your interest in the company or organization to which you are applying.
Use your cover letter to identify the most relevant skills or experiences specific to the job, rather than restating the information in your CV. If you're writing a cover letter for a position at a college or university, here's how to write an academic cover letter.
What to Include in Your Curriculum Vitae Cover Letter
Kevin Fitzgerald is the North American Marketing Communications Manager for Michael Page International, one of the world's leading professional recruitment consultancies. He provides the following suggestions about what information to incorporate into your curriculum vitae cover letter.
- The content of your cover letter should be brief and structured; avoid lengthy repetition of information covered in your CV. Unlike a CV, it is acceptable to write a cover letter in the first person.
- Your letter should address the relevant contact, whose name often appears in the job advertisement. Avoid “Sir” or “Madam” if possible.
- If you are replying to a job ad, say so. Mention the job title, any reference number, and where and when you saw it.
- In some cases an advert will indicate that a more substantial letter is required. Always follow specific instructions and include any information if it is particularly requested (for example, your current salary).
- Briefly outline your current situation and why you are seeking change. Include mention of your current or last job, qualifications, and professional and academic training, tailoring your information to make it as relevant as possible to the organization or job applied for.
- Tell the potential employer a little about themselves to demonstrate you have properly read the position description and that you have done some research into the organization. Also, state why you are interested in them as an employer.
- You need to succinctly emphasize why an employer may want to meet and employ you. Highlight your transferable skills, achievements and versatility: what you can contribute and what makes you stand out from your competition. You can also mention personality traits relevant to the role applied for, taking care not to appear too subjective.
- Ensure that your CV covering letter flows freely, however, and does not slavishly match every point on the job description. The reader should be left with an overall impression that you are a potentially valuable addition to the workforce.
- Negative information of any sort should be avoided in your cover letter as well as on your CV.
- Close your letter with a polite expression of interest in further dialogue with the recruiter. Do mention that you would like the opportunity to discuss your suitability further in a personal interview and that you await a response in due course.
- Ensure your letter is neatly and clearly presented with no grammatical or spelling errors.
- Email covering letters should be written in a common font (such as Times New Roman, Verdana, or Courier New) with standard formatting and should emulate a handwritten letter in terms of style.
Cover Letter Samples
Depending on the employer's submission requirements, curriculum vitae cover letters can either be submitted online with your CV, uploaded online, or mailed. Be sure to follow the application instructions and follow the directions on how to apply.
Related Articles: Cover Letters Samples for Curriculum Vitae | Types of Cover Letters (with samples of each) | Email Cover Letter Examples