Uscsd Team 4 Homework Pass
Tritonman, our UC San Diego Triathlon Team's annual race at Mission Bay, was a huge success this past Saturday with 450 racers! It gained quite the buzz with the localSan Diego community along with many news and media outlets including KUSI-TV who showed up to cover the race:
This year a number of Ironman celebrities were entered in the race, which made for some interesting news media, and a lively awards ceremony as all of the collegiate athletes who raced got a chance to meet, shake hands and take team photos and selfies with the following:
- The first Ironman World Champion, Gordon Haller, flying in from Arkansas to do the race on the same weekend 40 years after he won it.
- Kathleen McCartney, 1982 Ironman World Champion, whose battle with Julie Moss on ABC’s Wide World of Sports publicized Ironman worldwide
- Mike Levine, North County resident with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, who trained with Kathleen over the summer and did IM Hawaii last year (and was featured on the NBC coverage)
- Bob Babbitt, IM Hall of Famer and founder of Competitor Magazine
- Sian Welch, former pro triathlete and Encinitas resident, who whose crawl across the finish line at IM Hawaii 20 years ago, was one of the most talked about finishes in Ironman history
The race and awards ceremony were filmed by Ironman.com, which is doing a special on the 40th anniversary of Ironman, so it could appear on NBC later this year. Also be on the look out for a feature in The Triathlete Magazine, which will include a profile of our Tri Team in an issue in the very near future!
Tritonman has also become a great vehicle to engage our local San Diego community in participating in a healthy lifestyle. Coach Kim rallied 15 people from the San Diego community to enter Tritonman this year as a team, some of whom had never done a triathlon before and who said they plan to encourage others to do the same because it’s a friendly, inexpensive and no stress race that’s close to home.
If you are interested in featuring some of those individuals as a way of demonstrating UC San Diego’s commitment to community service and helping people in the community lead a healthy lifestyle, with a link to our Tritonman race page, that would really help the team increase our registration numbers next year and build on the success:
A HUGE CONGRATS to the UC San Diego Triathlon Team and everyone who participated to make this such a great event! If you are interested getting involved with the Tri Team check out the team's homepage here: https://recreation.ucsd.edu/sports-clubs/sports-clubs/teams/triathlon/